“I love Orthodontics! I enjoy the challenge of unraveling a complicated dentition to produce the most beautiful smile. The most compelling part of it all is seeing the transformation in personalities as the smiles improve. Often, especially with younger patients, as the smile transforms, you can see their eyes brighten and their chins rise a little higher. You can literally see confidence thriving.”
- Dr. Smith was born and raised in Jamaica and he graduated from Campion College in Kingston.
- He earned his Bachelor of Science in chemical engineering from the University of Florida and started his career working as a Process Engineer for Praxair Corp in Kingman, AZ.
- He made a career change in 2006 and pursued his Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) degree at Howard University in Washington, DC.
- He graduated Magna Cum Laude and was inducted into the National Dental Honor Society–Omikron Kappa Upsilon (which is reserved for the top 10% of the graduating class).
- Dr. Smith continued Orthodontics training at Howard University and submitted research to the Journal of Clinical Dentistry on Orthodontic Movement of Taurodont Teeth and on Resistance to Sliding of Different Archwire-Bracket Combinations.
- He implemented and grew the Orthodontics program at five offices in the Tidewater area of Virginia for a national dental franchise called Kool Smiles.
- Kool Smiles was primarily a Medicaid office, and strict approval guidelines meant only the most difficult cases were approved for treatment. This afforded Dr. Smith the opportunity to complete many of the most difficult Orthodontics cases for patients in Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Portsmouth, Hampton and Newport News.
- Dr. Smith moved back to Florida in March 2018 and brings his invaluable skills to patients in Miramar and Coral Springs, FL.
Dr. Smith is currently a member of the American Dental Association, the American Association of Orthodontics, the Miami-Dade County Dental Society, the Broward County Dental Society, the Howard University Orthodontics Alumni Association and the University of Florida Alumni Association.
He has also worked as an adjunct professor in Orthodontics at the University of Technology, School of Dental Sciences in Jamaica, W.I.
Dr. Smith stays involved with his church and Adonai Partners where he served as a missionary for a summer in Uganda.
Adonai Partners is a non-profit mission and development group that primarily volunteers in African countries. He also volunteers with Give Kids a Smile and Meals on Wheels.
More About the Doctor
Away from the practice, Dr. Smith enjoys practicing karate, playing guitar, listening to music, reading, various outdoor activities, traveling and volunteering. He also spends time caring for his retired parents in West Palm Beach.